Horsham Football Club An FA Charter Standard Club

Young Hornets through to cup final

Club News

Young Hornets through to cup final

Horsham Youth have a second cup final to look forward to after the U12s finally completed their delayed Arun & Chichester Challenge Cup semi-final yesterday. With the poor weather having twice curtailed their efforts to take on table-topping Rustington Otters, the young Hornets wasted little time in getting into their opponents, dominating the midfield and moving the ball better during the early exchanges and took the lead on seven minutes when Nathan Jones steered home Frankie Mills’ corner. The lead was soon doubled when Finley Duneclift got wide and crossed early, finding Raul Barter coming in from the left wing to smash the ball past the Rustington keeper. At 2-0 to Horsham after just nine minutes it was the dream start, but the yellows had to dig in as Otters started to find their groove but some great defending and composed play saw the game swing back in favour of the visitors. As the first half was drawing to a close, Frankie gathered the ball, surged forward into the Rustington box, and, after a very clever piece of skill, he was able to curl the ball into the far corner of the Otters net, giving Horsham a fantastic 3-0 lead at the half-time break.

Horsham were warned about a Rustington revival for the second half and, sure enough, with two minutes on the clock they got a goal back after the young Hornets failed to clear the ball. Otters found their groove, pushing the tide of yellow back and had started to create chances but Monty Watson-Price was big in the Horsham goal and pulled off a couple of vital saves to maintain the two goal advantage. Injuries started to surface, with the Hornets showing a lack of game time, but this set of lads dug deep, maintaining their advantage whilst trying to create further chances. With the second half drawing to a close, Rustington nabbed a second goal to make it 3-2 but this was the final piece of action as the game was brought to an end after the restart. Horsham U12 had won the semi-final to progress into the Challenge Cup final at Arundel in March.

Manager Paul Brown was buzzing for the squad, “this is a great achievement for this set of lads and they worked hard for each other today, putting all their effort into giving themselves an opportunity to bring silverware to the new ground. We knew it was going to be a hard game, we always have a great game against Otters and today we showed what we are about, a hardworking, good footballing side – a trip to Arundel, for a final, is our reward.” Captain Jack New also praised his side “we were not at our best through parts of the game, slightly too far apart from each other which created space for Rustington, but we worked hard and deserved to win as we dominated larger parts of the match”

Horsham U12’s: Monty Watson-Price, Danny White, Cameron Cox, Jack New (cpt), Frankie Mills, Nathan Jones, Raul Barter, Finley Duneclift, Stan Berry  Subs: Jasper Butterfill, Denis Light, Theo Brown
Scorers: Nathan, Raul, Frankie
Dominoes Man Of The Match – The whole team

Horsham’s opponents in the final will be either Lancing United Colts or Bognor Regis Town.

Horsham’s U16s take on Bognor Regis Town at Arundel FC on Friday 2nd March in the final of the Arun & Chichester League Invitation Cup, kick-off 7.30pm.


Related News