Horsham Football Club An FA Charter Standard Club

Horsham U12s 8 Worthing Dynamos 2


Horsham U12s 8 Worthing Dynamos 2

Sunday saw the visit of Worthing Dynamos to the Leisure Centre, which promised to be a tough, physical encounter for the young Hornets if previous meetings were anything to go by. The first half kicked off and was a fairly even contest with both teams feeling each other out, Horsham definitely looked to be the better footballing side though. Thom Ong, a diminutive forward, started the game up front for Horsham and was linking play brilliantly but was up against a big center-half. Stanley Hague replaced him and had the first chance of the game, latching on to a poor pass from the Worthing keeper on thirteen minutes which saw a one on one well saved by the Worthing ‘keeper, atoning for his error.

Worthing looked dangerous on the counter attack and went 1-0 up on fifteen minutes, against the run of play, following a good run down the left wing by their number eleven who looked their most dangerous player. But Horsham quickly bounced backed when Harry Lawson equalised on nineteen minutes. Four minutes later, Horsham went behind again after giving the ball away in the final third. It was another counter-attack which was a carbon copy of the first goal, despite the best efforts of Jacob Pugh and Zack Bull in the back line and Horsham stopper Alex Maynard. Fortunately for Horsham the lead didn’t last long as, on twenty-four minutes, Elliott Evans made a superb jinking run into the Worthing box where, having beaten two players, he was pulled back which resulted in a penalty. Luke York stepped up and left the ‘keeper no chance by firing high into the roof of the net.

H/T: Horsham 2 Worthing Dynamos 2

The second half started and it was clear that Horsham meant business. Within a minute of the restart ,Stanley Hague fired over the bar from close range and, on thirty-two minutes, Harry Lawson got his second of the game to make it 3 – 2. The chances were now coming thick and fast. On thirty-three minutes, Bailey Moyo hit one of his speciality long range efforts that just went over the bar. It just wasn’t Stanley Hague’s in front of goal, when he saw another effort go just wide of the near post, but with three assists he can pleased with his contribution.

Clear daylight between the two sides finally came when Sonny Barton decided he wanted to get in the act and hit an eight minute hat-trick! He took the score to 4-2 on thirty-six minutes and added another, five minutes later, with the goal of the game – a rasping shot in off the far post and top bins! His third came when George Lee made a fantastic run into the box and was scythed down for a penalty. Sonny had his captain to thank for taking the penalty as they were both on a hat trick! A good finish and it was 6-2 to Horsham. Not wanting to be outdone, Harry Lawson got his hat trick to make it 7 – 2 with Sonny Barton adding his fourth goal just before the hour mark.

Manager’s Comments:
“A brilliant performance and result in the end. At half-time we told the boys to keep doing what they were doing as the goals would come. We were by far the stronger side but had to be mindful of their threat on the counter-attack and make sure we weren’t ball watching and our starting positions at the back were right. The second half was just pure dominance and I don’t think they knew what hit them.”

Horsham squad:  Alex Maynard, Jacob Pugh, Zack Bull, Luke York, Elliott Evans, Adan Rubin, Stanley Hague, Sonny Barton, Harry Lawson, Bailey Moyo, George Lee, Thom Ong

Scorers:  Sonny Barton (4), Harry Lawson (3), Luke York

Man of the Match: Sonny Barton


Related News